This article refers to refunding a sold item. This typically would be a product sold from your Product list.
If you’re looking to refund an appointment check out this article.
To fix a payment taken or applied in error, see this one.
Depending on the nature of the refund, you can complete a full product refund (you are giving the full amount back), or a partial refund (you only want to give some funds back).
Fully Refund a Product
If you’re looking to refund an inventory or product purchase, it is a two-step process.
1. Mark the Product as Refunded
- Head to the Patient Profile > Billing tab
- Next to the product you’d like to refund, click on the dropdown menu next to “View”
- Select Refund Purchase
This tells Jane to add the number of units sold back to the product inventory and disconnect the payment from this product. The payment will now be available as a credit on the patient’s account. This step removes the sale as a negative transaction from the practitioner’s compensation report if you’re using the Collected option, but does NOT create a refund on your Transaction Report, since at this point the patient has not been given any money back. The patient can either use this credit for future appointments/sales, or you can refund using the second step below.
Pro Tip: If the product was invoiced erroneously and no payment has been applied yet, select Delete Purchase instead to remove it from the patient’s account without creating a refund activity line.
2. Refund the Money
- In the Patient’s Billing tab, head to Payments
- Click View next to the payment associated with the original purchase
- Click the Refund button
- A list of options will drop down for you to choose from. This is where you let Jane know how you’ll be processing the payment refund, i.e: returning payment to the patient via Cash, VISA, Debit, etc. If you have multiple locations, your Payment Methods from both locations will be available in this list.
This refund will now be on the corresponding practitioner’s Compensation report as well as the Transaction report for that day. Un-applying the payment will take the payment off of the Compensation report while processing the refund will create a negative transaction on the Transaction report.
To double-check dates, click “View” both the Purchase and the Payment to see the dates that will be reported:
Partially Refund a Product
If you are refunding a product but want to keep some of the funds, you’ll need to use the Write Off method.
1. Refund the Partial Amount
- Head to the Patient’s Billing > Payments tab
- Click View next to the original product payment
- Unapply the payment by clicking on the broken chain link symbol
- Close the payment screen and click View again
- The product will now show in the Outstanding invoice list. Type in how much money you want to keep, as the leftover is what you will refund back to the patient
- Click Apply
- At the top of the page, you’ll see that you can refund the difference
2. Write Off the Difference
Their product invoice will now be in a Partially Paid state and you can write off the difference.
- Head back to the patient’s Billing > Purchases tab
- Click on the blue invoice link
- Feel free to enter details in the invoice description or add a note
- Click Write Off
🔥 Hot Tip: In Settings > Products, you can click View Log on a Product to see its sales log. This shows a history of the product’s inventory additions and depletions: