This feature is available for Jane Payments users in 🇨🇦 Canada and 🇺🇸 the US. If you’re not signed up yet, you can learn more about Jane Payments and get all set up when you’re ready!
Do you want to collect credit cards on Intake Forms to help prevent no-shows (and collect fees when they happen), as well as enjoy a seamless client check-out experience? If yes, then this one’s for you!
Enabling credit cards in your Intake Form
Full Access users can head to Settings > Forms & Surveys in your Jane account. Click View Forms in the Intake Forms section:
You’ll then click the title of your intake form or click the Edit button. If you are starting from scratch, select New Intake Form.
From there, head over to the Credit Cards tab and click the dropdown beside Gather credit card information on intake form.
Here you’ll have three options:
- Do not ask for credit card - clients will not be asked for credit card details on their Intake Form.
- Credit card details optional - clients will be asked for credit card details, but can skip this step if they don’t wish to provide them.
- Credit card details required - clients will be asked for credit card details and can not complete their Intake Form without providing them.
📍 Note: It’s possible that requiring credit card information, could be a barrier in your clients filling out their forms.
As well, we’ve pre-populated some text for you here (you can see how it will appear to clients below), so feel free to change anything you’d like.
- Why gather credit card information?: This will explain to your patient why you are asking for this information, and how it will be used.
- Cancellation policy: This will appear when your client clicks “Read Cancellation Policy.”
- ⚠️ Important note! For anyone adding this to an existing Intake Form where you’ve added a customized Cancellation Policy, you’ll need to copy & paste that policy into this box to ensure your clients see the correct policy when adding their credit card info.
- Declaration: This is the statement that your client will agree to when clicking the consent box.
Don’t forget to click Save Intake Form when you’re done editing!
Once enabled, any client receiving an Intake Form (without a card already stored on file, so if they’ve added it as part of their Online Booking or through another Intake Form, they won’t be prompted) will see Credit Card Information as Step 2 of their Intake Form.
📍 Note: If your Client is filling out the Intake Form at the beginning of their appointment from your device using the Continue as a Staff Member button, they will not be given the option to add their credit card info. If you use the Pass Device to Client button, they will be given the option.
Clients will be able to click Read Cancellation Policy to review the terms they are agreeing to.
Once the Intake Form with their credit card info has been submitted, it will appear in their Client profile under Billing > Credit Cards.
If you have any questions or need a hand, feel free to reach out to our support team at [email protected]
Why can’t I collect credit card info on Intake Forms without using Jane Payments?
We’re aware that some of you use your Intake Forms to collect credit card info without Jane Payments, but this is a practice we actively discourage. Many people don’t know that storing credit card numbers in plain text, such as in a note field in a chart, puts them at risk for fines and possibly having credit card processing rights revoked.
While Jane is a very secure platform, Jane itself isn’t PCI compliant. The good news is, Jane Payments is! Using our payment solution, we can store credit card numbers as tokens, meaning no one can view the full credit card number, protecting both you and your clients.
If you’re not using Jane Payments yet, it only takes 5 minutes to set up! And, with no hidden fees or contracts, you can give it a try risk-free today. Learn more about Jane Payments rates or head to Settings > Jane Payments to get started.
Can I make this a mandatory field for my clients to fill out in order to submit their Intake Forms?
Great question, we thought you might ask! Right now, it’s available as an optional field because we didn’t want to create any barriers to your clients completing their Intake Forms. If you’re using this and see a need to make this a mandatory field, please let us know!
Can I use this to collect credit card info from all my clients at once?
There’s no way of pushing this out to all clients at once as Intake forms are sent out in collaboration with an appointment booking, or manually on a per-client basis. You can read all about setting up your Intake Forms if you would like a refresher.
Depending on how you have your Intake Forms set up, you could make sure your current clients receive this in a couple of different ways:
- Add this to an existing Intake Form and adjust the “Require for New & Existing Clients as of this Date” to the day you enable credit card collection on the form. This will work well for new and existing clients, as long as you’re okay with current clients having to fill out the Intake Form again.
- Create a new Intake Form with only this section enabled (no Questionnaire or Consents). For new clients, it will be combined with any other Intake Forms that apply to them. For existing clients without a card on file, it will just appear as the Profile Fields you set and the credit card collection page. It’s important to note here that clients with a card on file who receive an Intake Form like this will only be asked to fill out whichever Profile Fields you’ve included.
If you have any questions or would like a hand getting started, feel free to reach out! We always love hearing from you.