Most privacy and data protection regulations want individual users in electronic health record systems to be identified, and even more, they want all activity to be tracked.
Jane does this with the Activity Log.
What is Jane’s Activity Log?
The Activity Log is a powerful report that shows actions taken within the account. This can be used to troubleshoot, or audit actions taken by staff members at the clinic.
First, all users should be logging in individually with a unique profile with their own username and password. If your clinic uses one device at the front desk or a similar setup, we got some tips for you: Working on a Shared Computer/Device.
Jane keeps track of actions taken by each of those users, such as reports they have run, or which client profiles and charts they’ve accessed.
How to see the log
The Activity Log will be visible to the Account Owner and any staff member logged in with Full Access or Administrator/All Billing permissions. To view the report, these users can head over to the Reports tab, and then scroll down to the bottom of the menu on the left. The very last report option is Activity Log.
To narrow things down further, you can filter the data to specific parameters. You can filter based on:
- Staff Member who performed those actions
- The type of actions you want to look for
- A specific date range
Let’s say for example that you want to check which patient profiles have been accessed, created, or modified by staff member Susan Lo in a specific week. We can filter accordingly:
Here, we’ll be able to see the actions taken with timestamps.
Jane is designed to be a complete clinic management platform – and so there are a lot of actions that a staff member can take in an account! Some common actions that you could look for:
- “accessed Patient chart” — the staff member navigated to the “Charts” tab of a particular patient profile.
- “modified Patient/Staff Member” — some demographics or settings were updated for the patient or staff member.
- “created entry” — a chart was started for this patient. Some related fields for authoring charts might be:
- “updated entry part” — information was added or changed to a chart component
- “signed entry” — the chart was signed
- “amended entry” — the staff member inserted an amendment to a signed chart
- “deleted entry” — could be either archiving an unsigned chart draft, or deleting a signed chart. More info on that here.
This is not an exhaustive list of actions that you’ll be able to see and track in your activity log. Most entries are relatively intuitive, but if you come across an entry that you’d like some clarification on, we’d encourage you to reach out to our team directly for some more info!
To read more about Jane’s privacy and security features, have a look at these:
As always, let us know if you need a hand.