We’ve broken this guidance up into small, digestible chunks, and you’ll find a detailed video walkthrough of each section at the bottom of the page, as well as links to the other guides in the series.
To do this, you can either hop over to your Patient’s Profile or create a policy right from the Appointment Pane in your diary.
From the Patient Profile
From the Patient Profile, you can begin by heading to the Billing tab > Click Insurance Policies > Click New Insurance Policy.
From the Appointment
If you would like to enter a patient’s insurance information from the main diary, follow the steps below:
1) Click on the patient’s appointment in the Diary
2) In the Appointment Pane, scroll down and click to open the Insurance Info area
3) Click on the “Add Policy” button, and then select “Add New Policy”
Regardless of which way you start, the process from here is the same.
First up, select the Insurance Company for the patient:
Next, give the Insurance Policy a name – this is internal and should be useful in identifying the policy.
- The only mandatory information is the Claim, Employee or Identification Number. The terms “Claim Number” and “Authorisation Number/Code” are used interchangeably by different insurers. We suggest adding the claim number/authorisation code in the required field. This number will display on Jane’s invoices.
The “Policy, Group, or Plan Number” is optional. This is the best place to enter the patient’s policy/membership number. This number will display on Jane’s invoices.
You can also save a Patient’s Excess amount for this policy either as an annual or per-visit amount, and Jane will remember this too. If you don’t know if a patient has an excess at the time you create their policy, you can always come back to this at a later date.
Click Save, and you’re all set.
The New Insurance Policy will now show up under the patient’s Insurance Policies area.
- And in the Appointment window:
Here is a video to run through How to Add Insurance Policies to Patient Accounts:
Note: Speed up or slow down the video speed using the ⚙️ button inside the video player!
You can navigate to any section of this guidance using the links below:
- Step 1 - Setting up Insurers
- Step 2 - Billing Codes
- Step 3 - Creating a Patient Policy
- Step 4 - Insuring and Billing a Visit
- Step 5 - Invoicing and Payments
Written by Jamie - UK Support Team