The Patient Booking Mobile team has an open position for a Staff Software Developer. The team is working on a cross-functional initiative called Jane for Patients that are currently focused on building a mobile application for patients. This is an opportunity to play a lead role in this big initiative for Jane.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA, so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision-making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
Our primary back-end language at Jane is Ruby but we understand that great people can come from a variety of development backgrounds. Our recruitment process welcomes developers from a Java, C#, or Python background that are interested in learning our stack. We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 40 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 350 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
A Staff Developer at Jane fulfills a technical leadership role, and this means that your average sprint cycle would include time spent guiding the team on improving code quality, on adopting better best practices or design patterns, and on monitoring meaningful metrics to identify and implement improvements. We make sure that we spend time on the foundations of Jane as well as production work so that we can consistently deliver value at the end of every sprint.
2023 will continue to be a big year for Jane as we continue to invest heavily into our product innovation. Jane empowers thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
To be successful in this role you need:
- An entrepreneurial spirit that is energized by building something from scratch for a new client base.
- A strong desire to ship features: a willingness to try, fail and iterate, and a force of will to make this cycle happen. We aim to prepare new build candidates at the end of each sprint cycle.
- The experience to drive technical decisions and make certain calls (especially on the backend). You should continuously seek improvement from a quality and productivity standpoint on deliverables, code reviews, performance, and security.
- Experience designing and implementing scalable distributed systems.
- Champion our customer use cases ensuring that your team solves real-world problems prioritizing the safety and security of the mobile application.
- Lead by example to show what swarming as a team to accelerate product delivery looks like vs all working in separate lanes.
- You feel comfortable mentoring other developers, and educating them on best practices and design principles as needed.
- Continuously seek improvement from a quality and productivity standpoint on deliverables, code reviews, performance, and security.
- Demonstrate deep ownership of your work and can guide the team on the best approaches for monitoring and alerting in production.
- Ensure that the team knows what they’re committing to through an agile and iterative approach.
- The team is working on a mobile app that will need to scale in an elegant way. As a staff developer, you'll focus primarily on the backend, with the potential of branching out into the mobile app code. Jane has primarily been built on Ruby on Rails, and in addition to this, the Patient Booking Mobile team relies on GraphQL and Apollo. The front end is React Native, with specific implementations in Kotlin and Swift as necessary.
- In addition to writing quality code, the team also focuses on building out a strong foundation that supports build automation, automated testing and monitoring and alerting.
- Deep knowledge of Amazon Web Services (AWS), CI/CD pipeline, and any additional monitoring and alerting experience is a requirement for this role.
As well as a great team, you'll have...
- The ability to work from anywhere in Canada. We also have some flexibility to occasionally work outside of Canada.
- An equitable approach to compensation means compensating you for the positive impact you have on our customers, product, and people.
- Jane’s Employee Stock Option Plan. Jane is privately owned, growing very fast and operating profitably. Profitable hyper-growth rarely happens at our scale. When it does, it creates value quickly (it already has for many of our team members).
- A flexible time off package that includes your vacation time, holiday gifted time off for everyone at Jane, and your birthday off (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Jane provides extended health care benefits to you and your dependents starting on your very first day. You’ll receive $750 per individual Allied Health discipline along with $2,000 in coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Psychologists, and Social Workers.
- A $500 wellness spending account to use towards maintaining your health and wellness in whatever way works best for you.
- Parental top-up that allows Janers to plan for the future.
- Access to eCounselling, primary care, legal and financial counselling, and career coaching.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.