Jane is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Staff Application Security Engineer to help influence best practices and mature our Application security program across our growing organization so that Jane can continue to securely help the helpers.
Our team at Jane seeks to improve the safety of customer data, provide innovative, seamless security services, and create long-lasting relationships with our various value stream teams. We are looking for a lifelong learner that is passionate about the security space with proven skills in risk assessment, threat methodologies and the application of security frameworks.
This role would ideally suit an application security specialist who can leverage software engineering skills with deep security expertise to raise security standards and reduce friction across multiple teams, products, and services in a highly dynamic engineering environment.
The ideal candidate will be expected to have experience mentoring and coaching engineers, and be a security thought leader for the organization. Through your work with the Product and Engineering teams, you will make important contributions towards realizing our multi-year goals to improve application security.
You will be responsible for analyzing the security of applications and services, vendor-provided solutions, discovering and addressing security issues, building security automation, and quickly reacting to new threat scenarios. You will have a proven history of recognizing, documenting and responding to threats to help shape the business threat appetite.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA, so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision-making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 40 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number-one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led, and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
To be successful in this role...
- Partner with engineering and product management teams to perform threat modelling, design, and code reviews to assess security implications and requirements for the secure development of new systems and technologies.
- Identify security/privacy-notable functionality in applications and services, identify trends, and build out automation to bring security awareness into the affected areas.
- Conducting proactive research to analyze security weaknesses and recommend appropriate strategies
- Liaising with vendors to implement security solutions
- Proactively improve our security frameworks, documentation, tools, processes, and methodologies.
- Threat Intelligence
- Develop automated security testing to validate secure coding best practices.
- Help measure and report on security golden signals.
As well as a great team, you'll have...
- The ability to work from anywhere in Canada. We also have some flexibility to occasionally work outside of Canada.
- An equitable approach to compensation means compensating you for the positive impact you have on our customers, product, and people.
- Jane’s Employee Stock Option Plan. Jane is privately owned, growing very fast and operating profitably. Profitable hyper-growth rarely happens at our scale. When it does, it creates value quickly (it already has for many of our team members).
- A flexible time off package that includes your vacation time, holiday gifted time off for everyone at Jane, 3 Janecation days and your birthday off (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Jane provides extended health care benefits to you and your dependents starting on your very first day. You’ll receive $750 per individual Allied Health discipline along with $2,000 in coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Psychologists, and Social Workers.
- A $500 wellness spending account to use towards maintaining your health and wellness in whatever way works best for you.
- Parental top-up that allows Janers to plan for the future.
- Access to eCounselling, primary care, legal and financial counselling, and career coaching.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.