At Jane, we’re building a new team that will act as a start-up within a start-up—and Jane’s website (jane.app) is their platform, and product. Jane has a product and community our customers love, and as our growth has primarily been organic and word of mouth, we’re turning our focus to creating a powerful, impactful website to let the world know about us!
We’re looking for a Rails-experienced, full-stack developer who loves jumping into the creative and technical challenges of restructuring, running and scaling a website. This is the first role of its kind that takes responsibility to pull together the essentials that make a website go from a storefront to a place where Jane’s team, Jane’s customers, and Allied Health professionals come together on different journeys, and elevate the discovery of Jane. Your time will be spent rebuilding our platform, implementing rails-based improvements, new tracking, ideating on innovative experiences and mentoring team members.
Our primary tech stack for the website is Ruby on Rails, with a React front-end, so a deep knowledge of rails versions 6+ is essential for success in this role. As a future lead Website Developer at Jane, we expect you to have a deep understanding of website design patterns, SEO and performance strategies, and how to apply these towards building and maintaining a scaling website. A keen grasp of project analysis and planning is required to help understand and deliver our requirements as well as a passion to ensure system stability, monitoring, and optimum performance is achieved.
As a senior marketing team member at Jane and lead in our new Website team, you will help mentor and align the team on best practices, provide guidance and ensure the team is performing at their best.
If you're fulfilled by empowering a small team to do amazing things and seeing them succeed, have a desire for continuous improvement and operational excellence, we would love to hear from you. You’ll be part of defining our digital growth strategy with the support of world-class teammates, so now is the time to join…!
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA, so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work.
We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision-making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 40 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number-one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 350 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
2023 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our tele-health experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
So, what will you be responsible for?
- Fixing, maintaining and managing the structural elements of Jane’s website
- Migrating our website to the latest version of Rails
- Implementing optimizations to improve discoverability, speed and performance
- Improve website usability for your customers: the marketing team
- Collaboratively work alongside a team of experts from Design, Product Marketing, Content and more
- Building a culture of scrappiness and confidence on a small team
- Increasing discoverability of Jane brand, and have your peers say; “We love Jane’s website!”
To be successful in this role you should:
- Have a bias for action. You’re scrappy, excited, you get stuff done
- Have a high degree of Rails expertise (essential)
- Have front-end coding experience in React, Vue and/or Angular
- Have SEO search experience that you can speak to and share learnings
- Be able to come in and hit the ground running
- Be comfortable with being on-call. You will be responsible 24/7 for uptime, but will be able to leverage Jane’s development team when needed.
Bonus points for:
- Have worked in a digital agency or scrappy start up before
- You’ve experienced side hustles or have worn multiple hats in a digital marketing setting
- You’re stoked to walk us through your portfolio
- Have used Jane App before
- If you do not meet these requirements, we still encourage you to apply.
As well as a great team, you'll have:
- The ability to work from anywhere in Canada. We also have some flexibility to occasionally work outside of Canada.
- An equitable approach to compensation means compensating you for the positive impact you have on our customers, product, and people.
- Jane’s Employee Stock Option Plan. Jane is privately owned, growing very fast and operating profitably. Profitable hyper-growth rarely happens at our scale. When it does, it creates value quickly (it already has for many of our team members).
- A flexible time off package that includes your vacation time, holiday gifted time off for everyone at Jane, and your birthday off (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Jane provides extended health care benefits to you and your dependents starting on your very first day. You’ll receive $750 per individual Allied Health discipline along with $2,000 in coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors, Psychotherapists, Psychologists, and Social Workers.
- A $500 wellness spending account to use towards maintaining your health and wellness in whatever way works best for you.
- Parental top-up that allows Janers to plan for the future.
- Access to eCounselling, primary care, legal and financial counselling, and career coaching.
At this time, we are only able to consider candidates that are currently eligible to work in Canada.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.