We’re looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join Jane’s Platform & Enablement Team. This team ensures that Jane is a stable, scalable and reliable platform, capable of sustaining massive growth. We will accomplish this growth while also enabling our engineering team to continue to innovate and deliver quality solutions effectively using AWS tools and services. Our core principles revolve around the 5 pillars of reliability, scalability, security, observability, and simplicity.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack.
We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
Compensation Expectations for the Role
Jane’s committed to paying our team members fairly, clearly, and above all, paying for growth. This role has a minimum annual salary of $117,100 and maximum annual salary of $182,900. As you may have noticed, this salary range is quite large, and this is intentional to account for the growth someone will experience in the role throughout their time at Jane (i.e., from building the skills, to accomplished, to highly proficient, all the way to achieving excellence in the role). When hiring talented folks to join the Jane team, we’ve found that new team members are best set up for success when hired with the expectation of being fully accomplished in the role, which for this role would reflect a salary between $139,000 to $146,300. It's also possible to join Jane at a salary above or below this, which would mean a salary below $139,000 typically reflects someone who has all the potential to be fully accomplished in the role but doesn't yet possess all the skills required, while a salary above $146,300 is typically for individuals who are currently in this role at Jane and had the opportunity to make a significant positive impact on our customers, product and company with deep Jane knowledge. At Jane, we pay for growth, which means that you’ll continue to have conversations about your career development with your manager and see your compensation grow over time as you build an amazing career with us.
Learn more about Jane's approach to compensation here
More information on Jane's benefits package can be found here
The impact you could have...
- Design, implement, and maintain infrastructure, automation and observability tooling for applications at Jane, helping create processes that enable teams to better own their services.
- Provide on-going maintenance and support of internal tools, ultimately improving system health and reliability.
- Evolve tools for automating deployment, monitoring and operations of the overall platform.
- Be proficient enough in some scripting language to help write scripts and automation.
- Take complexity in, and deliver simplicity out.
- Take a consistent approach to breaking large projects/releases down into simple pieces. You’ll do this by communicating and documenting efficiently and succinctly, and writing readable code for your team.
- Make yourself and everyone around you better, by building trust, clarifying communications, and acting with empathy and respect.
- Be driven to ensure product quality, reliability, privacy, and security are never sacrificed.
- Constantly improve: yourself, the team, and the platform.
- Be data driven: You drive to quantify your successes and failures, using metrics and dashboards.
- Have a methodical approach to problem solving, in both development and production environments.
The experience we feel we need...
- A firm grounding in SRE Principles including Golden Signals, Automation & Self-Healing systems.
- Experience working in a SRE environment and applying SRE Principles.
- Strong command of git.
- Familiarity with a modern software stack that empowers our developers to release value to customers multiple times a day.
- Passion for continuous improvement, especially when relating to on-call. We review each incident and look for ways to prevent that condition from happening again in the future.
- Knowledge of network theory and protocols including ELB, DNS, SSL, & TCP/IP.
- Deep knowledge of principles of observability.
- Skill with one or more programming or scripting languages (e.g. bash, python, ruby).
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Expert level experience with AWS (e.g. Professional experience with AWS Services and their APIs).
- Deep understanding of Linux containers (Docker, Kubernetes).
- We offer a relaxed environment at Jane, if you need to stretch during your interview, use a stand-up desk, or attend to personal matters like letting your barking dog out, that's fine. We also have a casual dress code.
- Our hiring process consists of a 30-minute Zoom call with our recruiter, where they will discuss your background, motivations, and provide information about the role, Jane, compensation, and benefits.
- Next, there will be a 1-hour interview with the hiring manager, diving deeper into your experience and motivations, with a mix of technical and non-technical questions.
- You will be given a take-home assignment, assuming you are selected that will be completed on Github. Please note that the repository for this assignment will be deleted and not used internally or in production.
- Following that, there will be two 90 minute interviews focusing on technical and architecture topics, as well as project, customer, and values.
- Afterward, our team will hold a debriefing session to discuss their feedback. To mitigate bias, feedback is not discussed among team members until this meeting.
- Throughout the process, your recruiter will provide regular check-ins, updates, and feedback. Assuming all goes well, we will then proceed to the offer and reference check stage. If we decide to keep in touch in the future, you'll be provided with detailed feedback as to why.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.