We are seeking an experienced Privacy & Compliance Manager who possesses a strong aptitude for managerial responsibilities, coupled with a hands-on approach to addressing privacy/compliance challenges. Jane stores healthcare records for millions of patients across numerous jurisdictions and we’ll be expecting you to help strengthen the privacy and compliance function at Jane to help us live out our mandate of ensuring that data is handled only by authorized people, that data is used responsibly by the people who have access, and that the whole Jane team is engaged in maintaining the responsible usage and privacy/security of the data. This is a role that offers both technical challenges and leadership opportunities, making it a very impactful role within Jane. As part of this role, you will enhance the privacy/compliance of our products, lead a team of privacy/support professionals, and ensure the highest standards of privacy and security are met at Jane.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack.
We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
Compensation Expectations for the Role
Jane’s committed to paying our team members fairly, clearly, and above all, paying for growth. This role has a minimum annual salary of $122,000 and a maximum annual salary of $190,500. As you may have noticed, this salary range is quite large, and this is intentional to account for the growth someone will experience in the role throughout their time at Jane (i.e., from building the skills, to accomplished, to highly proficient, all the way to achieving excellence in the role). When hiring talented folks to join the Jane team, we’ve found that new team members are best set up for success when hired with the expectation of being fully accomplished in the role, which for this role would reflect a salary between $144,800 to $152,400. It's also possible to join Jane at a salary above or below this, which would mean a salary below $144,800 typically reflects someone who has all the potential to be fully accomplished in the role but doesn't yet possess all the skills required, while a salary above $152,400 is typically for individuals who are currently in this role at Jane and had the opportunity to make a significant positive impact on our customers, product and company with deep Jane knowledge. At Jane, we pay for growth, which means that you’ll continue to have conversations about your career development with your manager and see your compensation grow over time as you build an amazing career with us.
Learn more about Jane's approach to compensation here
More information on Jane's benefits package can be found here
The impact you could have...
- Manage and guide the privacy & compliance team, ensuring the implementation of best practices for privacy in the organization.
- Collaborate closely with engineering and product management teams to integrate privacy measures into the development lifecycle.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of Jane's privacy/compliance frameworks, policies, and procedures, ensuring alignment with industry standards and compliance requirements.
- Contribute to the longer-term privacy and compliance strategy for the organization.
- Develop and monitor key metrics to evaluate and report on the effectiveness of privacy/compliance measures and the overall privacy posture.
- Manage relationships with vendors and external partners to enhance Jane's privacy/compliance capabilities.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the privacy & compliance team, fostering a collaborative and learning-oriented environment.
The experience we feel we need...
- Professional Experience in Privacy and Compliance
- At least 5 years of combined experience in privacy and compliance, specifically in areas related to software development.
- Proven track record of helping to build the privacy and compliance function, especially in a software development or tech-focused environment.
- Experience in leading and implementing privacy and compliance practices across an organization but particularly within product development.
- Technical Expertise
- IAPP certified or other compliance certification (eg., ISACA, ISC2-CGRC, etc).
- Hands-on experience with guiding companies through the implementation of privacy and compliance frameworks SOC2, GDPR, etc).
- Proficiency with helping teams assess privacy/compliance risk (e.g., the completion of Privacy Impact Assessments).
- Hands-on involvement with responding to privacy breaches.
- General familiarity with data security practices that reinforce privacy.
- Leadership and Team Management
- Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, and grow a team of privacy/compliance professionals.
- Skills in project management and cross-functional collaboration.
- Capacity to foster a privacy-centric culture within the organization.
- Communication and Strategic Thinking
- Excellent communication skills, capable of translating privacy concepts for diverse audiences (e.g., convincing a Product Manager to alter the design of a feature to align with privacy legislation, speaking to a customer to show how we align with their own privacy schedules).
- Strategic mindset with the ability to align privacy initiatives with broader business objectives.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.