Like with all positions at Jane, the Infrastructure Developer position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
We’re looking for an infrastructure engineer to join Jane’s Platform Engineering team which does a pretty outstanding job ensuring that Jane is a stable and reliable platform. We support the rest of the product team with tools and services to allow them to work on Jane more effectively. You will be working with Terraform along with technologies from across the AWS offering as well as any other thing that helps us make Jane run reliably and support future growth and technologies. You will help grow and expand the Jane cloud platform, experiment with new technologies and troubleshoot existing ones. You will help us create better systems that monitor, self heal and allow easy deployments to the Jane cloud platform.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
Jane does have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. Well, we think so. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go, including our own (J)analytics platform, marketplaces, global insurance integrations, enhancing our telehealth experience, and introducing features like secure HIPAA compliant chat. And, of course, security as a whole across Jane. Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
Our devs get to really own the projects they’re working on from beginning to end. Each team has the autonomy to create their own processes and iterate on their workflow. We’re focusing a lot on code quality and getting to nerd out on exploring the best possible ways to build things. At the same time, we’re moving fast, releasing updates daily, and being really responsive to what we’re hearing from our users.
We offer reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
What are we looking for?
- Firm grasp of a scripting language (bash, python, ruby, etc) as applied to systems automation.
- 3+ years of professional experience with AWS Services and their APIs
- Comfortable with terraform, or similar infrastructure-as-code systems. (We use terraform, but you can pick that up if you already know the concepts of IaC)
- Passion for systems, understanding how they work, why they fail
- Passion for automation
- Passion for metrics (ie. how can we visualize the performance characteristics of all parts of systems so we can better understand how they work)
- Ability to write clean, well-documented code
- Extremely comfortable navigating *nix environments
- Excited by technical design discussion and have a passion for making things better
- Passion for building internal tooling and making the rest of the team’s lives easier.
- Strong command of git: comfortable with interactive rebases and dealing with tricky conflicts
- Familiarity with a modern software stack that empowers our developers to release value to customers multiple times a day
Bonus points for:
- Experience with any/all of the below:
- AWS ECS
- AWS EC2
- AWS EventBridge
- AWS AutoScaling
- AWS RDS Postgresql (especially understanding performance constraints on schema-based multi-tenancy systems)
- AWS SES/SQS
- AWS Code* Services (Commit/Build/Pipeline)
Salary & Benefits
- $70,000 (Associate) - $145,000 CAD (Senior)
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
If you want to get started, tell us your story.