We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
Jane does have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go including covid vaccination scheduling, video conferencing, global insurance integrations, our own (J)analytics platform & marketplaces! Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
What are we looking for?
- 3+ years of professional Ruby and Rails experience
- Ability to write clean, well-documented code
- Knowledge of functional programming
- Rock solid at working with third-party dependencies and debugging dependency conflicts
- Understanding of REST APIs
- React experience and knowledge of state management (without Redux)
- Experience with automated testing suites, like Jest, Mocha or Rspec
- Experience with tools like Bugsnag or Honeybadger to monitor application stability and chase down bugs
- Passion for making things better
- Comfortable navigating *nix environments
- Excited by technical design discussion and have a passion for making things better
- Interested in building integrations, APIs, and transforming data into a variety of obscure legacy formats (thanks to the health insurance industry!)
- Strong command of git: comfortable with interactive rebases and dealing with tricky conflicts
- Familiarity with a modern software stack that empowers our developers to release value to customers multiple times a day
Bonus points for:
- Experience with writing SQL
- Familiarity with cloud architecture generally and AWS specifically
Compensation & Benefits
- $85k-$140k CAD base salary
- Extended healthcare from day one
- Participation in Jane’s Employee Stock purchase plan (JSOP)
- Investment into your career development & growth
- $500 annual wellness plan.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off
If you want to get started, tell us your story.