Jane is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead a critical product area in a missional, high-performance, hyper-growth company. In this role, you’d have a chance to grow and lead a full development area, functioning as the strategic leader for a critical part of the business and helping shape the future of Jane. As a leader of leaders, you can truly exercise your multiplier muscles as a coach and mentor to your Development Managers and Staff level ICs, teaching and supporting them to hire well, execute effectively, balance technical and operational excellence with business needs, and build and maintain a great culture, where people love coming to work every day.
Like with all positions at Jane, the Director of Engineering position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
Of course, it’s not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
To be successful in this role…
- You have a history of effectively managing managers across multiple teams and have demonstrated success in leading a strategic organization.
- You have driven many large complex projects with a high business impact from inception to production and have been accountable for the operational and engineering excellence of your organization’s product.
- You have a strong track record of scaling organizations and systems both in numbers and complexity.
- You are a strategic partner, able to push and pull through relational influence to help your customers, company, and area succeed.
- You have developed and executed against medium- and long-term strategic plans to help your business gain market share.
- You are a proven multiplier, knowing how to grow the people and systems around you towards exponential growth.
- Rapid growth excites you and you know how to set up organizational structures and processes that can weather that growth without losing momentum.
- You are a champion of the business to your organization, knowing how to create a strong vision, i.e. ‘the why’, that the team buys into. You are a champion of technology to the business, ensuring we continuously invest into our architectural, engineering, and operational excellence as needed.
- You have been responsible for a large-scale SaaS product or supporting very large-scale on-premise systems in production and have a history of running cross-functional Agile DevOps teams.
- You’ve helped scale an organization from less than 100 to more than 300 and are familiar with 100% year-over-year growth pressures.
- You are a project methodology expert, having led agile transformation, but also understanding the pros and cons of traditional vs modern SDLC approaches.
- You are very technical, understanding architectural design patterns for scaling systems and where the pitfalls are, e.g. Monolith to Microservices and SOA
- You have a background in medical software or a high compliance space like Fintech.
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
If you’re interested in knowing more about Jane and the opportunity to work here, it would be great to hear from you.