Jane is seeking a Director of Engineering to lead our Account product group. This is an exciting problem area because it serves as the base platform for all of Jane’s features. You will be responsible for Reporting, Analytics, Identity and Access Management, Settings and Onboarding, Jane Subscription Management, Imports, and Exports. The many other mission-critical parts of Jane like Scheduling, Medical Charting, and Billing depend heavily on the core platform that the Account Group provides to be successful.
In this role, you will have a chance to lead a team of teams (aka Group) across 5 scrum teams and 4 managers. You will be functioning as the strategic and organizational leader across our three Engineering Leadership Pillars: People, Operational, and Technical. As a leader of leaders, you are able to exercise your multiplier effect through coaching and mentoring your leads (Managers and IC Staff Devs) across these pillars. A day in the life of the Account Group Director would include to: support your team in hiring great people, execute effectively, balance technical and operational excellence with business needs, and build on & maintain a great culture, where people love coming to work every day.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA. In our most recent company-wide health check, 99% of our team agreed that our founders demonstrate people are important to Jane’s success. On top of that, 98% of our team felt Manager cares about them as human beings and that they are supported when needing to arrange time off from work. We’d never claim to be perfect, but we’re working hard to listen to our people and improve each day.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start with a bit about what makes our company unique and try to be as transparent as possible. Our values also provide some insights into Jane and hopefully, you’ll have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Before we were Jane, our Co-Founders were solving problems for their own clinics not realizing that a few years later, this team would grow to support tens of thousands of healthcare practices in more than 60 countries. Our platform is now helping to modernize the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, telehealth, and billing along with an evolving library of features. You can see more of them here. Although we’ve grown, still to this day, we’re rooted in solving clinics’ problems and making sure we don’t lose sight of Jane’s vision.
We have remained profitable for the past seven years, we’re product-led and growing organically (and responsibly) to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 400 Janers who are doing an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, some of our team block out their calendars to pick up their children from school (and this is normal at Jane), and we even have a #kids channel in Slack. We’re not a clock-in clock-out system-type environment. With that being said, we’re not going to paint the picture of a perfect environment either. We’re a company that’s scaling quickly, we have many moving parts, many of us are doing this for the first time and sometimes, we don’t have processes in place or clear views which can require a lot of resourcefulness and a passion for problem-solving.
With all that to say, if you’re looking for an environment where you can grow, stretch yourself, and work with some incredibly talented people on problems that are positively impacting people's lives, Jane could be the place for you.
So what’s happening in 2023? We’re iterating on our existing product to make our customers more successful and we’re working on some complex technical challenges with the goal of operating with a world-class cadence for building and deploying products. From decoupling complex parts of Jane, increasing the predictability of our roadmap, and creating a greater flow for maximum effectiveness of teams. To provide some context into our growth, in 2022, we processed over 93 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone receives on average, 740 million API calls per week. This is up from 250 million per week in 2021!
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
What you'll be doing:
- Be the strategic leader of 5 DevOps style scrum teams across 4 dev managers with a total group size of 34 people. You will be the people, project, technical, and operational leader for the entire group, working heavily with your peer leaders in Product Management and User Experience to ensure your group is highly effective.
- Influence the roadmap of both technical and customer projects and will be accountable for operational and engineering excellence of your group.
- Support, coach, and mentor your group to deliver frequently with high quality and high predictability.
- Have the ability to scale groups (people) and systems both in numbers and complexity.
- Build strong strategic partnerships to help your group succeed, i.e. manage up, out, and down.
- Develop and execute a 12-18 month strategic plan to help the company gain marketshare.
- Guide the technical direction of your group to ensure Jane is set up for the future and that there is a clear technical roadmap to balance customer features with continued technical and foundational investments.
- Be great at creating alignment to and from the group to ensure they understand and are excited by the company vision and understand how they fit into contributing to it.
What we’re looking for from you:
- An effective leader of leaders who has the multiplier effect to draw out and amplify the strengths, creativity, and abilities of their teams.
- An experienced manager of managers (3 or more) across multiple teams (5 or more) and demonstrated success in leading a strategic group (team of teams).
- A track record of scaling teams and systems to maintain effectiveness through multiple high-growth phases (doubling in size) without losing momentum.
- Strong project management skills, with a proven track record of driving many large complex projects with a high business impact from inception to production in a very iterative way.
- Strong expertise in operational and engineering practices, very familiar with SRE Golden Signals and DORA metrics concepts and what it takes to achieve these in practice. (NOTE Golden Signals: Error rates, Latency, Traffic, Saturation, DORA: High release throughput with high quality)
- Ability to leverage strategic partnerships across the business to push and pull through relational influence to help your customers, company, and strategic area succeed.
- Ability to bounce between operational leadership of your team in the sprint-to-sprint (or even day-to-day) and strategic leadership of the group and company looking out at longer-term goals.
- While you may not write code yourself anymore, you have many years of coding under your belt and have maintained a deep technical understanding that you use to guide your teams through challenging architectural decisions and tradeoffs.
- Effective translation of business needs to the group to create strong alignment and excitement between the group and the business.
- You know how to advocate for your team’s needs in a way that gets support and buy-in from your peers and leadership.
- You have been responsible for large-scale, multi-tenanted, multi-region SaaS products and know how to lead a team through all the maintainability, reliability, scalability, releasability, usability, and security challenges that come with that.
- You have been in a high-growth company and helped the team maintain and grow their effectiveness through multiple rounds of doubling in size to more than 400 employees or more than 150 developers.
- You are a project methodology expert, having led agile transformation, but also understanding the pros and cons of traditional vs modern SDLC approaches.
- You understand DORA metrics, where they are helpful, where they can be damaging, and how to apply them to help a team thrive.
- You believe in and have helped adopt a DevOps culture and deeply understand the SRE Golden Signals. You’ve helped roll those out to your team or have worked in an environment where they were part of the day to day culture.
- You have a background in a high compliance space like Healthcare or Fintech.
- If you do not meet these requirements, we still encourage you to apply.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.