Jane is looking for a Data Privacy and Compliance Specialist to help develop, implement, and maintain our privacy policies for a fast-growing healthcare web application. This individual will ensure that we are aligned with all necessary regulations for operating in the US, Canada, and Europe. As a company, our goal is to help the helpers, and we want someone with a passion for privacy to help us advocate for protecting healthcare privacy in the digital world.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
Jane does have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go including covid vaccination scheduling, video conferencing, global insurance integrations, our own (J)analytics platform & marketplaces! Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
Jane offers sane hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
What you will be doing:
- Track data privacy regulatory requirements (including PIPEDA, PIPA, and similar provincial laws, GDPR, HIPAA, COPPA, CCPA, etc.) and ensure we maintain compliance.
- Keep our customer-facing privacy documentation and internal privacy policies up-to-date
- Review customer emails when they deal with complex privacy issues
- Partner with our product teams to develop privacy by design principles
- Develop and implement privacy awareness training
- Manage ongoing compliance with SOC 2
- Oversee third-party risk management including onboarding and offboarding of vendors
Who we think will be successful:
- You’re a detailed reader of legislative documents and you can easily translate them into plain English for the rest of the team. In fact, you can turn regulatory requirements into a compelling privacy story and you can write a blog post, a policy, or an email to a customer that can be easily understood.
- You’re empathetic, you’re willing to discuss differing opinions, and you find joy in seeing people learn and grow
- You’re a tenacious advocate for data privacy and you strive to make it easy for teams to make the right decisions
- You are organized and driven to see tasks to completion.
- You like to see others learn and become champions for privacy
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive base salary
- Extended healthcare from day one
- Participation in Jane’s Employee Stock purchase plan (JSOP)
- Investment into your career development & growth
- $500 annual wellness plan.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter with a summary of why you feel you’d be a good match for this position along with an up-to-date resume.