Jane is looking for an experienced Application Security Manager to build security into a fast-growing development team. You will leverage your technical knowledge and leadership skills to enable development teams to move quickly without compromising on security. Like with all positions at Jane, the Application Security Manager is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it’s important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
Jane is a home-grown, profitable startup. This means we’ve been growing a real business out of our own revenue for over 7 years now. We have the luxury and security of not having a zero-cash date like some venture-backed companies.
Jane was founded by a product-person and a customer-person, who are now the Co-CEOs. This means the two main teams at Jane (the product and the customer support team) are both led by doers who understand the job. We don’t have any suits here. We don’t even have a sales team! We’re building a really good product that is selling fast because people love it.
Jane is headquartered in North Vancouver but is a remote-first employer, welcoming candidates from anywhere in Canada. In order to keep our employees, candidates, and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, our team is working from home across Canada. All interviewing, onboarding and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
Jane does have a great office in North Vancouver, overlooking both the mountains and the ocean, and that will be available for people to work in once the pandemic restrictions are removed. But we’re really focused on creating a great hybrid work experience, where working remotely or in an office both offer an exceptional work environment.
Jane’s road map is exciting. We have some interesting and challenging projects on the go including covid vaccination scheduling, video conferencing, global insurance integrations, our own (J)analytics platform & marketplaces! Not to mention the fascinating journey of scaling our team and processes.
Jane offers reasonable hours, competitive salaries, and great benefits. More than that, we offer a chance to help build something special, which we back up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
What you will be doing:
- Create an application security program roadmap and implementation
- Manage a team of individuals who you want to see thrive with strong leadership and mentoring
- Partner with engineering teams to design solutions that are inherently secure
- Be a security subject matter expert and answer security questions about architecture, business logic, and coding practices
- Lead threat modeling discussions and help teams communicate about the security design of their systems.
- Develop various forms of training to provide developers information when they need it.
Who we think will be successful:
- You’re empathetic, you’re willing to discuss differing opinions, and you find joy in seeing people learn and grow
- You’re strong in advocating for security but pragmatic in your approach
- You have strong communication skills; you can explain highly technical concepts to less technical audiences, you can create clear architectural diagrams, and you can create a concise and convincing proposal.
- You have a breadth of applied knowledge within Application Security, including practices such as threat modeling, bug bounties, code reviews, and tooling to improve security in the development pipeline
- You think about web security as an architect and know how to position a growing AppSec practice within a fast-growing company
- You have a strong development background
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base salary of $120,000 - $140,000
- Extended healthcare from day one
- Participation in Jane’s Employee Stock purchase plan (JSOP)
- Investment into your career development & growth
- $500 annual wellness plan.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you. Please submit a cover letter with a summary of why you feel you’d be a good match for this position along with an up-to-date resume.