Have you ever stumbled upon a new feature in your account or stared suspiciously at your screen because you know something has changed, but you can’t put your finger on what? Well, you’re in the right place — Jane’s changelog! Every few weeks, our team publishes a list of new features, changes, and (sometimes) fixes to this page to make sure that you’re always up to date with what’s new in Jane.
If you find this changelog helpful and would like to see more of these updates, shoot us a message at [email protected] and let us know what you think. Your feedback will help us improve how we communicate and will help us choose what to include in future changelogs.
Jump to an Entry
- January 24th, 2022
- January 10th, 2022
- December 20th, 2021
- December 6th, 2021
- November 22nd, 2021
- November 8th, 2021
- October 22nd, 2021
- October 8th, 2021
- September 24th, 2021
Changelog: January 24th, 2022
- Locations: We’ve added a drop-down menu to the Locations screen that will let you choose to view your active Locations or archived Locations. We also added a reminder there to save your changes while creating or editing a Location, because who doesn’t need a little nudge to save their work sometimes?
- Welcome Emails and Password Reset Emails: We’ve made an update to the links included in these emails to enhance the security of your Jane account. Now, once a client or colleague has clicked the link to update their password, the link will expire and they won’t be able to use it again.
- Sketch pad: We found an issue where notes created on the sketch pad were being cut off when you went to download or print a Chart Entry. We’ve asked Jane to respect your masterpieces, so your sketch pad notes should remain intact from now on.
- Intake Forms: Client signatures were occasionally not appearing once a client had completed their Intake Form. We’ve fixed that up, and all forms that require signatures should display them moving forward.
- Schedule: A pesky little bug had us seeing double… double-booking, that is. An appointment would appear as if it had been double-booked when placed immediately after an existing appointment. We’ve asked that bug to step in line, and your Schedule should be back to normal.
- Rooms: We asked Jane to pump the breaks when someone tries to delete a room that has future appointments booked into it. This way, there’s no chance of someone’s Schedule getting messy if a Room is deleted before appointments are relocated.
- 🇨🇦 TELUS eClaims: We found an issue where submissions for La Capitale and Coughlin & Associates were being rejected. We’ve patched that up, and you’ll be able to submit your claims without issue.
Changelog: January 10th, 2022
- We added a friendly reminder to the Treatment Settings to Save your work before moving on. It’s a reminder we wish we had more often, so we figured that you might too!
- We increased the number of characters you can use for your Ratings and Reviews Google Prompt from 255 to 500, so now you can customize to your heart’s content.
- 🇺🇸 We’ve improved our ERA Management Tool! Now, Jane will include any claim-level adjustments that might be included on a claim response, rather than just the individual billing code adjustments (which are the norm!).
- Clinic Locations had become a bit stubborn about the order they were appearing in your Settings. We’ve reminded them who’s boss, and you can once again arrange them however you’d like.
- For a while, Jane was allowing appointments to be reserved outside a shift when ‘prevent staff booking outside of shifts’ was turned on and the appointment was Copied and placed there. We did a bit of spackling, and Copied appointments won’t be slipping through the cracks anymore.
- 🇨🇦 The “Check Eligibility” button was appearing for all TELUS eClaims, even insurers that don’t actually accept them… whoops! We’ve patched that up, so now only claims under insurers that do in fact accept these submissions will show the option to do an eligibility check.
Changelog: December 20th, 2021
We know a lot of you have been patiently waiting for this one (974, officially!), so we’re very happy to be able to say: you can now create Memberships and collect recurring payments in Jane!
Once you’ve created your Memberships, you can sell them to your clients to be billed on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis. If a client has a credit card on file, you can choose to have Jane charge them automatically. Other payment methods can be accepted manually. We’re hoping this feature will save you time and maybe even make you a little extra cash.
- We tweaked the way Jane creates an invoice to ensure that an Insurer’s Legal Name (instead of the Internal Name you’ve given it) is displayed.
- Packages will now be carried over when you Copy an appointment! This should save you a few extra clicks, especially if you’re booking several appointments out in advance.
- For any clinics out there that have Staff members who practice multiple disciplines, we’ve asked Jane to clean up how and where those Staff appear on the main Schedule.
- We made it a little easier to turn off Ratings & Reviews. While we’re always trying to make sure the i’s are dotted and t’s are crossed, we don’t want you to have to jump through hoops just to hit the off button.
- We gave the Need Help section (in the top right corner of your Jane account) a complete makeover to make it even easier for you to get in touch whenever you need us.
- We discovered an issue where Jane was allowing payments to be unapplied more than once. This usually happened when you were trying to delete a big (like really big) payment and, while waiting for Jane to mull it over, perhaps hit that trash can button a few extra times. We’ve asked Jane to put a lid on the trash can while she’s thinking, so you shouldn’t run into this issue anymore.
- A little bug was causing the Treatments list under a Staff member’s name on the Schedule to stay open even though the Staff member was deselected. We’ve swatted it away, and that list should once again tuck itself away when you don’t need to see it.
- We’ve updated the Dashboard that appears in your Settings to factor in Daylight Savings. Turns out that time change was just as hard on Jane as it was on our sleep schedules. Go figure.
Changelog: December 6th, 2021
🇺🇸 Introducing CMS1500 support for Secondary Claims!
If you look at an appointment with two insurance policies added, you’ll now see an option in the Pay drop-down menu to generate a CMS1500 for the Primary or Secondary claim. This is phase 1 of our plan to support Secondary Claims in Jane.
We’re now moving onto phase 2, which involves some adjustments to the Claim Submission folders to make it really easy to visualize and track Secondary Claims. After that, we’ll move onto phase 3, which will introduce support for electronic submissions to secondaries.
Intake Forms just got a little more organized
We’ve updated the way you can view and manage your patient’s Intake Forms from their patient profile! At-a-glance, you can see the name and status of their 5 most recent Intake Forms, and then you can click to expand the list if you’d like to view older forms (with unsubmitted at the top and submitted forms at the bottom).
When you click the three dots to the right of each Intake Form, you have the option to change the patient associated with the form or delete it altogether (as long as it hasn’t been signed; the account owner is still the only one who can delete a signed Intake Form).
Choose your favourite Chart Items and Templates
We had a lot of you requesting the ability to choose the Chart Items and Templates that appear in the dropdown menu under the New Chart Entry button, so this one is for all of you! You can now click the star next to your favourite Items and Templates to customize the options that appear in your dropdown menu. We hope this helps make your charting even easier and speedier!
- 📍 Update (December 9th, 2021): After receiving some feedback from our community, we’ve decided to return to the previous design of the Chart Templates and Items area for now. We appreciate everyone who reached out with feedback, and we love working with you to make Jane the best it can be. If you’d like to contribute to our planning for how this area will change in the future, please reach out to us or add a Feature Request to our board.
- We’ve added the ability for you to hide your Location Address from appearing on your Online Booking site and patient email communication. Stealth mode engaged. 👀
- We added Reflexology to the Discipline list found in Settings!
- 🇺🇸 Jane’s insurance billing got even more flexible last week, with the addition of a new setting to Staff Billing Settings: Bill Under a Different Name or Rendering Provider? This will make a few things easier: (1) working with students or new grads, (2) when you see a patient at the same time as another practitioner, or (3) if you need to bill under your full legal name, but use a different name with your patients.
- 🇺🇸 We added the Insurer Name to the list of details presented when linking an Unlinked Claim Response to its rightful claim. This will make it easier to find when Jane can’t link the claim response automatically, especially if a patient has a primary and secondary policy.
- We discovered an email translation that was showing up in some intimidating code speak. We promise the robots are not planning their uprising (quite yet), and the wording should be back to normal now. 🤖
- We found and fixed an issue where Clinical Surveys were occasionally not being sent out.
- When working with the Schedule, if Copy or Move had been selected, Jane was getting a bit stubborn about finishing that task before doing anything else. We’ve reminded Jane who the boss is, and you should once again be able to do other things as you go to Copy or Move an appointment.
- We found a pesky issue where the Ratings & Reviews settings would sporadically reset. If you had any trouble with Review emails sending, we suggest double-checking to make sure they’re set up as you’d like them. We’ve made sure Jane won’t continue to misbehave.
Changelog: November 22, 2021
Insurer-Specific Modifiers 🇺🇸
This one is for our U.S. community: You can now set insurer-specific modifiers instead of having to add modifiers to every single appointment! From your Billing Settings, you can set up default modifiers for any insurers that need them. Less manual entry = fewer rejections (and hopefully fewer grey hairs as well)!
- You can now add a New Patient profile from the Wait List, the same way you can from the Appointment Panel. Go ahead and take a quick stretch break, because you just gained some time back in your day!
- We’ve tweaked the Ratings and Reviews Settings page so that we don’t ask if you’d like to “Select all treatments” if you haven’t opted in any Staff members who offer those treatments.
- We’ve made a little change to the Pay Balance Email to help you feel confident in the way you are asking your customers for money (it’s a difficult enough conversation as it is!). Now, you’ll be able to see a preview of what your client will see before you send it.
- 🇺🇸 When submitting insurance claims electronically, Jane now lets you know (and throws up a roadblock) if you’ve selected any secondary claims in your batch. Jane isn’t able to support electronic submission to secondary payers… yet! We’re working on a feature to allow for secondary submissions as we speak.
- 🇺🇸 We’ve added an option when creating a CPT code to include the description (label) in electronic and paper claim submissions. This unlocks the option for you to bill Unlisted Services/Procedures through Jane.
- We caught a bug that was nibbling on the Schedule: you’ll once again be able to select certain Staff to view using the plus icon while also filtering by discipline.
- One of our favourite Chart Items, the sketch pad, was acting… well, a tiny bit sketchy… If you were using Safari, dots wouldn’t appear, but we’ve found the issue, and it’s once again behaving as expected.
- We fixed an issue on the Schedule for anyone using Jane on mobile. The banner that prompts you to ‘Tap and Hold’ if you’d like to book an appointment was popping up and hanging around a little longer than expected. The banner will once again appear and disappear in a timely manner.
- Some of the hyperlinks in the Patient Profile Notes area were redirecting users to, well, nowhere (like in Credit Memos and Packages). We’ve patched those up so we’re not sending you waywardly into the link abyss.
Changelog: November 8, 2021
Updates to Collecting Insurance Information on Intake Forms
As part of our mission to make insurance billing as smooth as possible in Jane, we’ve made another exciting update to our recently released insurance information collection feature. You’re now able to specify whether you want to collect the primary policy holder’s (ie. your client’s, or their spouse’s or parent’s) personal details, address, or both: you let Jane know which details you’d like to collect, and Jane will provide the appropriate fields to do so. If your client selects anything other than ‘self’ for ‘Relationship to Insured’, new fields will appear to collect those details as well. This information will all automatically populate into your client’s insurance policies, awaiting your review.
- We tweaked the Schedule for mobile devices so you no longer have to tap twice in order to select a staff member.
- If you were entering a New Insurer Payment from the Insurer Invoices area, you may have noticed that Jane was setting the default $ value to the total amount that was owed by that insurer. We like to be optimistic here at Jane, but that might be a bit too optimistic. We’ve told Jane to default the $ value to zero and let you enter what the insurer has actually paid.
- We added some language translations to the Ratings & Reviews settings page.
- 🇺🇸 We added a View Claim Response(s) option in the Insurance Info section of the Appointment Panel and Purchases screen. Going forward, if a claim is connected to a claim response and you want to view or edit the EOB for the appointment, we recommend using this new option instead of ‘Edit EOB’ so you can see the remittance details.
- 🇨🇦 We hid Alberta Blue Cross as a TELUS eClaims insurer option for clinics in Alberta since only providers outside of Alberta are able to submit their Alberta Blue Cross claims through TELUS eClaims. Yep, we hear how that sounds! 🙃
- We caught a bug that was causing some of your Sketch Chart Entries to get a little cut-off.
- When deleting Chart Entries from the Staff Profile, Jane was sending a Not Found Error message once the deed was done. But… you know, that was kind of the whole point of deleting it, so maybe a mission accomplished message would have been more accurate? We’ve removed the message altogether to help avoid any confusion in the future.
- We brought back the camera icon for Online Appointments displayed in the Staff List. 📹
- Jane was giving some users a little light sass when they tried to delete a Patient Profile that a File had been added to and then deleted from. Now, once all Files are deleted the Profile can be removed without any backtalk.
- We’ve fixed an issue where, when copying and pasting something from Word into a Chart Entry, Jane was pasting the title of the Word document in there as well.
- 🇨🇦 In an attempt to help our clinics submit successful insurance claims, we may have made things a little too restrictive. 😳 We’ve loosened up a little, so if a claim is in a ‘no submission required’ state, you can once again edit billing and diagnosis codes. Go ahead, call us a helicopter practice management software, we deserve it.
Changelog: October 22nd, 2021
Update to Staff Social Media Logins
As part of our ongoing effort to protect the privacy and security of our clinics, we made a small change to staff logins. Staff members who exclusively have a social media login (Google, Facebook, Twitter) associated with their account will now be prompted to create a standalone username and password. This adds a layer of security to verify that it’s really you attempting to change sensitive information on your account. If you haven’t seen it already, we love this webcomic. It’s a great reminder that strong passwords don’t have to be hard to remember.
- We added a direct link to book a New Account Set Up call to the Onboarding Wizard for clinics that are still getting acquainted with Jane and could use a little help from our support team.
- We made Jane go a little faster when opening an appointment from the schedule. This is a small performance step per appointment, but a giant leap for appointment-kind. 🌕
- When working in Patient Privacy Mode (Shift+P) patient personal information will now also be obfuscated in the Reports area.
- Instead of automatically arriving Online Appointments when a client arrives in the new Waiting Room, Jane now lets you choose when to arrive the appointment. Jane is helpful, but never bossy.
- In true you can’t change the past fashion, you’ll now see a handy error message if you try updating an appointment on the schedule that has already been deleted.
- Before deleting a claim that is linked to a remittance claim response, Jane now double checks if you really want to delete it. 🇺🇸
- After a brief break from being considered, rescheduled breaks are once again included in the Hours Scheduled/Booked Report.
- We fixed an issue where Jane would sometimes display a different payment method other than the one you had just clicked on when processing a refund. In other words, we put the “fun” back in refund.
- The instruction chart part was not following formatting instructions and would collapse multipleparagraphstogether. They should now be spaced out appropriately with an adequate amount of breathing room.
- Some clinics reported an occasional hiccup when trying to load the Insurer Invoices > Purchases list under the Billing Tab. In true Halloween spirit, we put on a bedsheet with some cutout holes and successfully scared off those hiccups. 👻
- Some things age well, like wine or one of those fancy cheeses. Others don’t age as gracefully… like insured appointments. While this only affected a handful of our most seasoned clinics, no one should experience trouble loading old insured appointments going forward. 🧀
- Keyboard shortcuts were not working from the Day sheet. Shortcuts are once again following their ⌘CMDs (commands— sorry Windows users, Apple joke) may once again hop to your schedule (Shift + 1) or double book (D key) with ease.
- Accounts Owners who are also practitioners assigned to a Discipline will now be directed to the practitioner view when tapping the Schedule tab.
- Folks were finding that they couldn’t copy or move appointments between the Day and Schedule Tabs. Appointments can now hop fluidly between views.
- There was a small quirk that made filtering the electronic Remittances list challenging, especially if there were a large number of them in the folder. This should be much more manageable now. 🇺🇸
Changelog: October 8th, 2021
Additional Profile Security
We have introduced an additional level of security to the profiles of staff members and patients that protects the information used to verify identity. All staff are now required to enter their password before updating their own — or another staff member’s — contact information. When a patient updates their own contact information via the My Account page, they will now have to enter their password before making changes.
ICD10 Code Set 2022 Update 🇺🇸
The ICD10 code set — which can be found in Settings > Billing Codes — has been updated to reflect CMS’s 2022 changes that took effect on October 1st. Valid diagnosis codes from 2021 that are now deprecated in the 2022 update have been removed from Jane’s ICD10 code set. Likewise, all replacement codes and new codes have been added. Learn more in our ICD10 FAQ here.
- We made some small tweaks to the styling of Resources on the schedule to improve things for clinics that use several Resources for appointment bookings.
- We added a handy guide reference to help all new staff create a secure password when setting up their Jane account for the first time.
- We added a new description to the Online Booking post-treatment time — which can be found in the Staff profile under Edit/Settings > Online Booking — to help practitioners better understand how to setup their schedule.
- We made Wait List items update instantaneously when viewing the schedule. You can now see updates to the Wait List made by patients or other practitioners in real time! Sweet, sweet automation!
- We made a small tweak to the drop-down options in the Create a New Treatment workflow. This change lays down the foundation for some exciting updates to Treatments that are coming down the line. Specifically, support for Grouped Appointments!
- For our Canadian clinics, we have added TELUS eClaims support for Alberta Blue Cross. A friendly heads up that Alberta Blue Cross only allows submissions via TELUS eClaims for those outside of Alberta (we recognize that this sounds a bit strange!). 🇨🇦
- For our Canadian clinics, Jane is now better equipped to handle situations where a bad or malformed response is received from TELUS or the insurer. This was previously causing pages (invoices, purchases, etc.) in Jane associated with the bad response to become inaccessible. Submissions with good and bad responses are now always accessible. 🇨🇦
- Jane’s Polish Community - świętować! Clinics in Poland can now sign up for a Jane Payments (through Stripe) and start processing payments. 🇵🇱
- We’ve added some missing German translations to receipts. Wunderbar! 🇩🇪
- Resending the right intake form - Jane was sending intake forms for any expired forms, which caused some confusion. Now, Jane only resends the expired form if it’s required, or if your patient has an upcoming appointment.
- The Return Visit Reminder (RVR) button wasn’t cooperating when accessed from the List View version of the Schedule after no-showing an appointment. It’s now cooperating and will direct you to the RVR form lickety-split when clicked.
- We patched a hole that allowed treatments on Wait List items to be carried over when clinics changed the practitioner offering a different discipline.
- Our Ratings & Reviews feature was accidentally blocking folks from selecting treatments assigned to a Discipline set to Not Bookable Online. We relaxed the rules here to ensure all treatments can be enabled for a Ratings email, regardless of the online booking policy.
- The “Reschedule an Appointment” mode was triggered on mobile devices when scrolling on top of an appointment on the Schedule. Clinics can scroll easy knowing that they won’t accidentally move an appointment to another day.
- The summary section of the Applied & Unapplied (A&UP) report was missing the first date of the selected date range in its calculations. The values should make sense now!
- The Onboarding Wizard has undergone some improvements including a change that will allow users to freely navigate throughout Jane without the wizard popping in and out.
- We noticed that some clinics were running into a blue sad-face error when entering a very large price for a product (over a hundred million dollars). Well, we’ve turned that frown upside down by adding a little message that gives you a heads up that you’ve probably entered the wrong price.
- The price field was showing up blank on the Edit Product form for certain locales. Folks who use Euros as their currency should be able to see prices properly now when making changes to products. 🇬🇧
Changelog: September 24th, 2021
Go faster with our new ERA Management Tool 🇺🇸
You can’t spell Insurance without ERAs! Head to Settings > Remittances in your account or checkout our ERA blog post to learn how much easier it is to post insurer payments by uploading electronic remittances to Jane.
Knock, Knock. Who’s there? It’s Telehealth Waiting Room.
… Telehealth Waiting Room who? 🥁
We’ve added a waiting room to Online Appointments so you have time to settle before seeing your clients. Now when you join a call, your client will remain in the new Knock Knock waiting area until you’re ready to admit them to their session. Learn more about the new Knock-Knock feature for Online Appointments here.
Insurance Card Photos can now be set to Optional
After receiving some great feedback from the community on our new Insurance Information Intake Form feature, we’ve introduced a preference that makes uploading an insurance card photo optional instead of required.
Customize the information you collect from New Clients
You can now tailor the client sign up page in our new Settings > Client Form Fields area to ensure you’re capturing the client information you need. This is also the place where you can enable Pronoun collection for your clients who book their appointments online.
- We’ve given the Ratings and Review set up page a new look to make it easier to navigate. We’d love to know what you think — send us a message if you have any thoughts!
- We’ve prettied up the way lists are formatted in chart entries by removing some of the indentation.
- We added a sticky save bar in the Settings area to remind you to save you changes before leaving.
- We’ve introduced some additional translations for pronouns labels in Danish, German, English, Spanish, Estonian, French, Italian, Dutch, and Portuguese.
- We also updated some Danish language for the Online Booking site. Shoutout to our newest Danish clinic for helping out with these translations!
- Our team added a few new videos and helpful tips to improve the onboarding experience for new practitioners joining Jane for the first time.
- The chart status icon 🔒 on the appointment in the day sheet was out of sync when changing / removing the linked appointment in a chart. I guess you could say the lock was not in lockstep but we got a lock on the issue, fastened a fix, and got the issue locked down.
- Corrected our staff member defaults so that practitioners can see breaks on their schedule unless otherwise specified.
- Administrative staff with Practitioner / Front Desk access can once again manage their own shifts. We see the irony in administrative staff not be able to administer their own shifts…
- Fixed a bug that caused Jane to link tasks to the author rather than the assignee. Authors of Tasks can once again link tasks to other staff members, instead of only being able to assign them to themselves. You know what they say… when you want something done right, do it yourself…
- We ensured clients who have a Jane account open in multiple tabs on their browser don’t run into issues when booking appointments online. Your clients can now go tab crazy and confidently book their appointments.
Woohoo! You’ve made it to the bottom of our changelog. Thanks for scrolling. 😊