We’re looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to join Jane’s Infrastructure and Deployment Team. This team does a pretty outstanding job ensuring that Jane is a stable and reliable platform for our customers and team. We support the rest of the product team with tools and services to allow them to work on Jane more effectively.
You will be working with technologies from across the AWS offering as well as Ruby, Rails, Typescript, Vue.js and any other thing that helps us make awesome tools for the rest of the team. You will help automate various workflows and help extend our internal tooling to deploy code, monitor the system and grow our customer base. While this is a Tooling Focused variant of the SRE position, the expectation is that you will eventually be proficient in the Infrastructure side to a degree as well. The intention (at least eventually) is for you to spend about 75% of your time on tooling and 25% on infrastructure work (this could be Terraform work, helping with automation, etc).
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. A happy, healthy and connected team is in the DNA of Jane and so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
So what are we specifically looking for?
- A burning desire to take complexity in, and deliver simplicity out. In other words, an addiction to breaking large projects/releases down into simple pieces, communicating and documenting efficiently and succinctly, and writing readable code that ends up making life simpler for users.
- You serve yourself and the team equally; You want to make yourself and everyone around you better, by building trust, clarifying communications, and acting with empathy and respect.
- You are capable of building a deep empathy for the users both external and internal. Between the tens of thousands of clinics we enable and all the Jane Developers you leverage that empathy to ensure product quality, reliability, privacy, and security are never sacrificed.
- A yearning to constantly improve: yourself, the team, and the platform.
- Religious about data: You drive to quantify your successes and failures, using metrics and dashboards.
- A methodical approach to problem solving, in both development and production environments.
On the Infrastructure team we require:
- A firm grounding in SRE Principles (Golden Signals, Automation, Self-Healing systems, etc).
- Experience working in a SRE environment and applying SRE Principles (ideally 2 years worth).
- Passion for building internal tooling and making the rest of the team’s lives easier.
- Strong command of git: comfortable with interactive rebases and dealing with tricky conflicts.
- Familiarity with a modern software stack that empowers our developers to release value to customers multiple times a day.
- A passion for automating solutions for recurring problems.
- Willingness to be in an on-call rotation to ensure Jane can remain operational 24/7 for our customers.
- Passion for continuous improvement, especially when relating to on-call. We review each incident and look for ways to prevent that condition from happening again in the future.
In your role you will greatly benefit from:
- 2+ years of professional Ruby and Rails experience.
- 3+ years of professional experience with AWS Services and their APIs.
- Being rock solid at working with third-party dependencies and debugging dependency conflicts.
- Being comfortable navigating *nix environments.
- Understanding of REST APIs.
- Having experience with Vue.js (not strictly required, but desirable).
- Having experience with JSX/TSX.
- Having experience with automated testing suites, like Jest, Mocha or Rspec.
- Having experience with tools like Bugsnag or Honeybadger to monitor application stability and chase down bugs.
- Highly competitive base salary
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.