Jane is looking for a Principal Developer (Architect) to be the technical right hand to the VP of Engineering in a missional, high-performance, hyper-growth company. In this role, you'd have a chance to be the technical leader across the entire Jane dev suite, working with very senior developers and leaders across the entire business. As a seasoned developer and technical leader, you could truly exercise your multiplier muscles as a coach and mentor to the dev leaders. You would be a technical advisor to the executive leadership team, and a subject matter expert in large distributed mission critical SaaS systems. This isn’t one of those ‘people who can’t do teach’ type of roles, but rather an example of what a true expert looks like with many complex projects and systems under your belt.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA, so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
To be successful in this role...
- You have a history of being an effective technical leader across multiple teams for a very large system in a distributed team environment.
- You have helped design, build, and run many complex projects for large SaaS systems from inception to production and have been accountable for the operational and engineering excellence of your team's product.
- You are comfortable defining and breaking down large projects for iterative delivery of value to customers, using agile methodologies.
- You are a strategic partner to UX, Product, and other technical leaders, able to push and pull through relational influence to help your team and customers succeed.
- You know how to build out long-term technical strategies, and present these effectively to executive leadership, industry experts, and outside the company.
- You are a proven multiplier; because of you the engineering, operational, and agile excellence of the teams you work with has seen notable improvement.
- You are a champion of the customer, obsessed with knowing how to translate customer needs into technical direction and vice versa. You are vocal about building what matters to customers.
- You know what a highly effective cross-functional Agile DevOps team looks like and know how to transition a company to operate in a DevOps model.
- You are a master coder, having a very broad and deep expertise in many different technologies, languages, and libraries. You could teach the course on multiple different technical domains.
- You have worked with many different architectural patterns and know which to apply and when. You understand monolith, SOA, micro-services, API standards, distributed systems, scaling, containerization, AWS, Serverless, SQL vs NoSQL, and other modern SaaS problems deeply and can guide the team towards what approach to take for what problem.
- You are an evangelist for a DevOps culture, advocating end-to-end ownership of a problem space, from ideation to monitoring and supporting in production.
- You are an excellent communicator, both written and spoken, able to build up technical skills in dev teams, sell ideas to leadership, or convey concepts to non-technical audiences.
- You have been the CTO or lead architect for multiple large complex systems.
- You've been part of a rapid growth company before and know how to balance the go fast with build well paradox.
- You have helped transition a team from a more traditional development model towards a DevOps-style environment.
- You have worked on very large systems that have high traffic volume.
- You are very familiar with international data governance issues and have solutions on how to solve for that.
- You have helped create stronger boundaries in a large monolith or have helped break a monolith into an SOA or Microservice architecture.
- You have worked with containers in Kubernetes or similar and have a strong understanding of horizontal vs vertical scaling.
- You have a background in modern medical software or a high compliance space like Fintech.
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.