Jane is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a critical product area in a missional, high-performance, hyper-growth company. In this role, you'd have a chance to grow and lead one or two development teams, depending on your experience level. As a development leader, you can truly exercise your multiplier muscles as a coach and mentor to your developers, helping your team hire well, execute effectively, balance technical and operational excellence with business needs, and build and maintain a great culture, where people love coming to work every day.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. A happy, healthy and connected team is in the DNA of Jane and so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
To be successful in this role...
- You have a history of effectively managing one or more distributed scrum teams.
- You have driven many projects from inception to production and have been accountable for the operational and engineering excellence of your team's product.
- You have a strong track record of building and enabling diverse and highly effective teams through strategic recruiting and coaching.
- You are a strategic partner to UX, Product and beyond, able to push and pull through relational influence to help your team and customers succeed.
- You know how to interpret and sell medium- and long-term strategic plans to your team and break down and propose work that will help your team execute effectively against them.
- You are a proven multiplier, knowing how to coach your people towards their full potential.
- Rapid growth excites you and you know how to absorb change into your team without being in a constant state of 'storming'.
- You are a champion of the business to your team, selling the business needs to them and helping them align to the vision. You are a champion of your team's technology vision to the business, building out a strong technical roadmap for architectural, engineering, and operational excellence as needed.
- You have what a highly effective cross-functional Agile DevOps team looks like and know how to motivate your team towards strong ownership.
- 2+ years of development management experience in building products for customers at scale
- Experience driving career growth for developers of all levels
- Experience building and supporting large products in a safe and reliable manner
- You have experience driving a modern software development lifecycle
- You have been a developer yourself and bring a minimum of 5 years of individual contributor experience
- You have a desire to learn and improve the status quo
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.